CV in PDF format
- International politics and the environment
Sage Publications, 2010.
- Intentional oil pollution at sea: environmental policy and treaty compliance
MIT Press, 1994. Winner of the Harold and Margaret Sprout Award, International Studies Association, 1995, for best book on international environmental issues
- International Environmental Agreements – Journal Special Issue Guest Editor Ronald B. Mitchell, guest editor. 13:1 (March 2013)
- International environmental politics (4 volume set of previously published articles by various authors)
Ronald B. Mitchell, editor. Sage Publications, 2008
- Global environmental assessments: information and influence
Ronald B. Mitchell, William C. Clark, David W. Cash, and Nancy M. Dickson, editors. MIT Press, 2006
Refereed journal articles
- "Oran Young and international institutions"
International Environmental Agreements 13:1 (March 2013), 1-14. DOI 10.1007/s10784-012-9200-3
- "Navigating the Anthropocene: improving earth system governance"
Biermann, Frank, et al. (32 co-authors). Science 335: 6074 (16 March 2012), 1306-1307.
- "Technology is not enough: climate change, population, affluence, and consumption" Journal of Environment and Development 21:1 (March 2012), 33-36. DOI 10.1177/1070496511435670
- "Developing next-generation climate change scholars: the DISCCRS experience"
Ronald B. Mitchell and C. Susan Weiler. Journal of Environmental Studies and Sciences 1:1 (March 2011), 54-62.
- "Transparency for governance: the mechanisms and effectiveness of disclosure-based and education-based transparency policies"
Ecological Economics 70 (2011), 1882-1890.
- "The rescaling of global environmental politics"
Liliana B. Andonova and Ronald B. Mitchell. Annual Review of Environment and Resources 28 (November 2010), 255-282.
- "Problem structure, institutional design, and the relative effectiveness of international environmental agreements"
Global Environmental Politics 6:3 (August 2006), 72-89.
- "International environmental agreements: a survey of their features, formation, and effects"
Annual Review of Environment and Resources 28 (November 2003), 429-461.
- "Knowledge systems for sustainable development"
David W. Cash, William C. Clark, Frank Alcock, Nancy M. Dickson, Noelle Eckley, David H. Guston, Jill Jäger, and Ronald B. Mitchell. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences 100:14 (8 July 2003), 8086-8091.
- "A quantitative approach to evaluating international environmental regimes"
Global Environmental Politics 2:4 (November 2002), 58-83.
- "Situation structure and institutional design: reciprocity, coercion, and exchange"
Ronald B. Mitchell and Patricia M. Keilbach. International Organization 55:4 (Autumn 2001), 891-917.
- "Implementing the climate change regime's clean development mechanism"
Ronald B. Mitchell and Edward A. Parson. Journal of Environment and Development 10:2 (June 2001), 125-146.
- "Encouraging compliance without real power: sport associations regulating teams"
Ronald B. Mitchell, Todd Crosset, and Carol A. Barr. Journal of Sport Management 13:3 (July 1999), 216-236.
- "Discourse and sovereignty: interests, science, and morality in the regulation of whaling"
Global Governance 4:3 (July-September 1998), 275-293.
- "Sources of transparency: information systems in international regimes"
International Studies Quarterly 42:1 (March 1998), 109-130.
- "Empirical research on international environmental policy: designing qualitative case studies"
Ronald B. Mitchell and Thomas Bernauer. Journal of Environment and Development 7:1 (March 1998), 4-31.
- "International control of nuclear proliferation: beyond carrots and sticks"
The Nonproliferation Review 5:1 (Fall 1997), 40-52.
- "Heterogeneities at two levels: states, non-state actors, and intentional oil pollution"
Journal of Theoretical Politics 6:4 (October 1994), 625-653.
- "Regime design matters: intentional oil pollution and treaty compliance"
International Organization 48:3 (Summer 1994), 425-458.
- "Advanced scholarship: interdisciplinary research at the science–policy interface"
Peter M. Haas and Ronald B. Mitchell. In Routledge Handbook of Global Environmental Politics. Editor: Paul G. Harris. Routledge, 2013.
- "International environment"
In Handbook of International Relations (2nd edition). Editors: Thomas Risse, Beth Simmons, and Walter Carlsnaes. Sage Publications, 2013, 801-826.
- "The influence of international institutions: institutional design, compliance, effectiveness, and endogeneity"
In Power, Interdependence and Non-State Actors in World Politics. Editors: Helen V. Milner and Andrew Moravcsik. Princeton University Press, 2009, 66-83.
- "Evaluating the performance of environmental institutions: what to evaluate and how to evaluate it?"
In Institutions and Environmental Change: Principal Findings, Applications, and Research Frontiers. Editors: Oran R. Young, Leslie A. King, and Heike Schroeder. MIT Press, 2008, 79-114.
- "Compliance theory: compliance, effectiveness, and behavior change in international environmental law"
In Oxford Handbook of International Environmental Law. Editors: Jutta Brunee, Daniel Bodansky, and Ellen Hey. Oxford University Press, 2007, 893-921.
- "Evaluating the influence of global environmental assessments"
William C. Clark, Ronald B. Mitchell, and David W. Cash. In Global Environmental Assessments: Information and Influence. Editors: Ronald B. Mitchell, William C. Clark, David W. Cash, and Nancy M. Dickson. MIT Press, 2006, 1-28.
- "Information and influence"
Ronald B. Mitchell, William C. Clark, and David W. Cash. In Global Environmental Assessments: Information and Influence. Editors: Ronald B. Mitchell, William C. Clark, David W. Cash, and Nancy M. Dickson. MIT Press, 2006, 307-338.
- "Flexibility, compliance and norm development in the climate regime"
In Implementing the Climate Regime: International Compliance. Editors: Olav Schram Stokke, Jon Hovi, and Geir Ulfstein. Earthscan Press, 2005, 65-83.
- "Group report: sustainability"
Ann P. Kinzig., William C. Clark, Ottmar Edenhofer, Gilberto C. Gallopin, Wolfgang Lucht, Ronald B. Mitchell, Patricia Romero Lankao, S. Sreekesh, Crispin Tickell, and Oran R. Young. In Earth System Analysis for Sustainability, Dahlem Workshop Report 91. Editors: Hans Joachim Schellnhuber, Paul J. Crutzen, William C. Clark, Martin Claussen, and Hermann Held. MIT Press, 2004, 409-434.
- "Institutions, science, and technology in the transition to sustainability"
Ronald B. Mitchell and Patricia Romero Lankao. In Earth System Analysis for Sustainability, Dahlem Workshop Report 91. Editors: Hans Joachim Schellnhuber, Paul J. Crutzen, William C. Clark, and Martin Claussen. MIT Press, 2004, 387-407.
- "A quantitative approach to evaluating international environmental regimes"
In Regime Consequences: Methodological Challenges and Research Strategies. Editors: Arild Underdal and Oran Young. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2004, 121-149.
- "Science, scientists, and the policy process: lessons from global environmental assessments for the northwest forest"
Ronald B. Mitchell, William C. Clark, David W. Cash, and Frank Alcock. In Forest Futures: Science, Politics and Policy for the Next Century. Editors: Karen Arabas and Joe Bowersox. Rowman and Littlefield, 2004, 95-111.
- "Beyond story-telling: designing case study research in international environmental policy"
Ronald B. Mitchell and Thomas Bernauer. In Models, Numbers, and Cases: Methods for Studying International Relations. Editors: Detlef Sprinz and Yael Wolinsky-Nahmias. University of Michigan Press, 2004, 81-106.
- "Of course international institutions matter: but when and how?"
In How institutions change: perspectives on social learning in global and local environmental contexts. Editors: Heiko Breit, Anita Engels, Timothy Moss, and Markus Troja. Leske+Budrich, 2003, 35-52.
- "International environment"
In Handbook of International Relations. Editors: Thomas Risse, Beth Simmons, and Walter Carlsnaes. Sage Publications, 2002, 500-516.
- "Institutional aspects of implementation, compliance, and effectiveness"
In International Relations and Global Climate Change. Editor: Urs Luterbacher and Detlef Sprinz. MIT Press, 2001, 221-244.
- "International vessel-source oil pollution"
Ronald B. Mitchell, Moira McConnell, Alexei Roginko, and Ann Barrett. In The Effectiveness of International Environmental Regimes: Causal Connections and Behavioral Mechanisms. Editor: Oran Young. MIT Press, 1999, 33-90.
- "International environmental common pool resources: more common than domestic but more difficult to manage"
In Anarchy and the Environment: The International Relations of Common Pool Resources. Editors: J. Samuel Barkin and George E. Shambaugh. SUNY Press, 1999, 26-50.
- "Forms of discourse, norms of sovereignty: interests, science, and morality in the regulation of whaling"
In The Greening of Sovereignty in World Politics. Editor: Karen Litfin. MIT Press, 1998, 141-171.
- "Managing compliance: a comparative perspective"
Abram Chayes, Antonia Handler Chayes, and Ronald B. Mitchell. In Engaging Countries: Strengthening Compliance with International Environmental Accords. Editors: Edith Brown Weiss and Harold Jacobson. MIT Press, 1998, 39-62.
- "Institutional frameworks for political action" Timothy O'Riordan, Chester L. Cooper, Andrew Jordan, Steve Rayner, Kenneth R. Richards, Paul Runci, and Shira Yoffe; with Daniel Bodansky, Urs Luterbacher, Ronald B. Mitchell, Kal Raustiala, Ian Rowlands, Paul Samson, and Detlef Sprinz as contributors. In Human Choice and Climate Change. Editor: Steve Rayner and Elizabeth L. Malone. Battelle Press, 1998, 345-439.
- "Compliance theory: an overview"
In Improving Compliance with International Environmental Law. Editors: James Cameron, Jacob Werksman, and Peter Roderick. Earthscan, 1996, 3-28.
- "Improving compliance with the climate change treaty"
Ronald B. Mitchell and Abram Chayes. In Shaping National Responses to Climate Change: A Post-Rio Policy Guide. Editor: Henry Lee. Island Press, 1995, 115-145.
- "Active compliance management in environmental treaties"
Antonia Handler Chayes, Abram Chayes, and Ronald B. Mitchell. In Sustainable Development and International Law. Editor: Winfried Lang. Graham and Trotman Ltd., 1995, 75-89.
- "Comment on the paper by Patrick Szell"
In Sustainable Development and International Law. Editor: Winfried Lang. Graham and Trotman Ltd., 1995, 111-113.
- "Intentional oil pollution of the oceans"
In Institutions for the Earth: Sources of Effective International Environmental Protection. Editors: Peter Haas, Robert Keohane, and Marc Levy. MIT Press, 1993, 183-248.
- Elizabeth DeSombre, Flagging standards: globalization and environmental, safety, and labor regulations at sea
Review of Policy Research, 26:1–2 (2009), 225-226.
- Ken Conca, Governing water: contentious transnational politics and global institution building
Global Environmental Politics, 7:1 (February 2007), 153-155.
- Corey Lofdahl, Environmental impacts of globalization and trade: a systems study
Politics and the Life Sciences, 22:2 (September 2003), 54-55.
- Oran Young, The institutional dimensions of environmental change: fit, interplay, and scale
International Environmental Agreements: Politics, Law and Economics 3:2 (2003), 191-194.
- The Social Learning Group, Learning to manage global environmental risks, volume 1: a functional analysis of social responses to climate change, ozone depletion, and acid rain and The Social Learning Group, Learning to manage global environmental risks, volume 2: a comparative history of social responses to climate change, ozone depletion, and acid rain
Global Environmental Politics 2:2 (May 2002), 131-133.
- Matthew Paterson, Understanding global environmental politics: domination, accumulation, resistance and Elizabeth R. DeSombre, Domestic sources of international environmental policy: industry, environmentalists, and U.S. power
American Political Science Review 95:2 (June 2001), 514-515.
- Thomas Bernauer and Dieter Ruloff, eds., The politics of positive incentives in arms control and Robert Mandel, Deadly transfers and the global playground: transnational security threats in a disorderly world
International Studies Review 2:3 (Fall 2000), 142-146.
- Karen Litfin, Ozone discourses: science and politics in global environmental cooperation
The Ecologist 26:3 (May/June 1996), 78-79.
- Thomas Gehring, Dynamic international regimes
International Environmental Affairs 7:2 (Spring 1995), 189-191.
Government and international Reports
- "Synthesis of National Capacity Self-Assessment Reports in the Pacific Region"
Report prepared for Secretariat of the Pacific Regional Environment Programme, 25 February 2012.
- "Climate change in Oregon: defining the problem and its causes"
Aslam Khalil, Chris Butenhoff, and Martha Shearer with contributing authors: Gail Achterman, Kelley Barsanti, Bill Drumheller, Ron Mitchell, and Andrew Rice. In Oregon Climate Assessment Report. Editors: Kathie D. Dello and Philip W. Mote. Oregon Climate Change Research Institute, Corvallis, OR 2010, 46-68.
- "How Can We Improve the Usefulness of Carbon Science for Decision-Making?"
Lisa Dilling, Ronald B. Mitchell, and David Fairman (with Myanna Lahsen, Susanne Moser, Anthony Patt, Chris Potter, Charles Rice, and Stacy VanDeveer). In: The First State of the Carbon Cycle Report (SOCCR): North American Carbon Budget and Implications for the Global Carbon Cycle. A report by the U.S. Climate Change Science Program and the Subcommittee on Global Change Research (King, A.W. L. Dilling. G.P. Zimmerman, D.M. Fairman, R.A. Houghton, G.H. Marland, A.Z. Rose, and T.J. Wilbanks, eds.) National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration, Climate Program Office, Silver Spring, MD, 2007, pp. 5.1-5.16.
- "Climate Impacts on Oceanic TOp Predators (CLIOTOP): Science Plan and Implementation Strategy " Maury, O. and P. Lehodey (Eds.). 2005. GLOBEC Report No.18. One of 16 main contributors to this science plan.
- "Implementing Joint Implementation: Developing a Management and Performance System for the Kyoto Protocol's 'Clean Development Mechanism"
Ronald B. Mitchell and Edward A. Parson. Report submitted to the United States Environmental Protection Agency, Office of Policy, Planning, and Evaluation, May 1998.
Opinion - Editorials and Profiles
- "Why Bother Going Green"
Cascade 2008 (Fall 2008).
- "The Truth and Uncertainty of Climate Change"
Ronald B. Mitchell and Greg Bothun. Ecotone 2006:2 (Spring 2006), 8-11.
- "State Can Be Leader on Clean Car Standards"
The Register-Guard (Eugene, Oregon), Feb 20, 2006.
- "Kulongoski Right to Address Global Warming" Ronald B. Mitchell and Randy Berggren. The Register-Guard (Eugene, Oregon), Dec 29, 2004, A-11.
Other publications (non-refereed)
- "International Regulation of Intentional Discharges of Oil into the Ocean"
Case study included on International Relations Interactive CD included as part of World Politics: Trend and Transformation (9th ed.). Charles W. Kegley, Jr. and Eugene R. Wittkopf. Wadsworth/Thomson Learning.
- "International Environmental Politics"
Curriculum module for high school and community college use. Developed by Gregory Francis from my Stanford University course of Winter term 2001. Stanford Program on International and Cross-Cultural Education. 2002.
- "Of Course International Institutions Matter: But When and How?"
In Proceedings of the 2001 Berlin Conference on the Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change: Global Environmental Change and the Nation State. Editors: Frank Biermann, Rainier Brohm, and Klaus Dingwerth. PIK Report No. 80. Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research, December 2002, 16-25.
- "Information as Influence: How Institutions Mediate the Impact of Scientific Assessments on Global Environmental Affairs"
William C. Clark, Ronald B. Mitchell, David W. Cash, and Frank Alcock. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University, Faculty Research Working Paper RWP02-044, 2002.
- "Marine Pollution Convention"
In Encyclopedia of Global Change: Environmental Change and Human Society (Volume 2). Editor: Andrew S. Goudie. Oxford University Press, 2002, 57-58.
- "Identifying Undeclared Nuclear Sites: Contributions from Nontraditional Sources"
In 2nd Workshop on Science and Modern Technology for Safeguards: Proceedings (Albuquerque, NM, 21-24 September 1998). Editors: C. Foggi and E. Petraglia. Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, 2000, 59-72.
- "Designing Effective Social Control for Nuclear Safeguards: Matching Strategies to Context or 'One Size Does Not Fit All'"
In Proceedings of the 19th Annual Symposium on Safeguards and Nuclear Material Management (Montpellier, France, May 1997). European Safeguards Research and Development Association-ESARDA and Joint Research Centre, 1998, 57-71.
- "Explaining the Form of Assessments: Why Do We Get the Assessments We Do?"
Edward Parson, Shardul Agrawala, Anthony Patt, Robert Keohane, Ronald B. Mitchell, Liliana Botcheva, William Clark, Elizabeth DeSombre, James McCarthy, and Eileen Shea. In A Critical Evaluation of Global Environmental Assessments: The Climate Experience. Center for the Application of Research on the Environment, 1997, 49-78.
- "Strategies for International Control of Nuclear Proliferation: Beyond Carrots and Sticks"
In Workshop on Science and Modern Technology for Safeguards: Proceedings (Arona, Italy, 28-31 October 1996) Editors: C. Foggi, F. Genoni, W.D. Lauppe, C.S. Sonnier, and G. Stein. Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, 1997, 299-306.
- "Compliance with International Treaties: Lessons from Intentional Oil Pollution"
Environment 37:4 (May 1995), 10-15, 36-41.
- "Has MARPOL Reduced Intentional Oil Discharges?"
Proceedings of the Marine Safety Council of the U.S. Coast Guard 51:2 (March-April 1994), 9-11.
- "Compliance Theory: A Synthesis"
Review of European Community and International Environmental Law 2:4 (1993), 327-334.