Single person games
- A single person game to prepare you for the Tragedy of the Commons game, also known as "Making optimal use of a Private Farm". This game is NOT a Tragedy of the Commons - it simply shows you that one problem in avoiding overuse of an environmental resource involves simply identifying the carrying capacity of the resource. In this case, you are effectively in the role of a farmer with a new piece of land that you own privately and the "game" is to figure out how many cows is the best number to have on the farm - too many and overgrazing reduces the total milk produced by all cows; too few and you aren't taking full advantage of the farm you bought (although you may want to keep part of the farm to grow organic vegetables!).
- The single person Tragedy of Indigenous Whaling. This doesn't really have a solution - I never quite got around to writing the script for it. But it may give you a sense of the tradeoffs that indigenous cultures MAY face in retaining a culture while using a scarce natural resource, like whales.
Setting up the Multi-person Tragedy of the Commons game
- I can set this up if you are a professor or teacher and would like to use it for your class. The REQUEST FORM is the fifth bullet below, but please read the other four first.
- For more about using the multi-person game for educational purposes, read the instructions before filling out the request form below.
- Example pages of the game once its been played.
- My lecture notes for when I run the game simulation in my class.
- Video of simulation I ran while at Stanford University.
- An Italian language version is available thanks to the generous translation done by Paola Passafaro
Playing the Multi-person Tragedy of the Commons game